Sunday, November 24, 2019

William Pike F.O.O.A... Caving!

For our final official outdoor adventure(F.O.O.A) we went caving it is our F.O.O.A because at the time we were pretty sure it was our last outdoor adventure but the day before there was an option that we might get a 6th outdoor adventure and we have, snorkeling  we have to do it with our class as well(so it isn't official).


We went 50 minutes out of Auckland to Nikau caves we got there quite early so we went to hang out in the cafe and Miss Davis did paperwork then we went outside to arm ourselves with a helmet and torch then after a first group photo of many we set off to the cave which was about 10 minutes walk from the cafe we had to walk up then down to get to the Nikau cave system.












 When we got there we had a second group photo and safety briefing, then we walked into the cave as we walked into the cave I felt a little bit nervous as I had whenever I had thought hard about it but Adriana  was even more scared than me so we waited just inside the cave for her to calm down  which also helped me calm down(mostly because I was distracted) then we set off. We were mostly walking in an freezing underground stream about half an hour in we had to go down a short vertical bit and then crawl for about 10 metres where I panicked a bit because I thought the person in front of me was going to stop and then we couldn't straighten up properly for another 20 metres. For me it was really cool being up close to the glow worms which I hadn't seen before and seeing the stalactites and stalagmites although I wasn't sure which was which.






After we were free from the darkness we walked back and dried off then had lunch, after lunch Josh, Helene and Zoe played in the stream while me and Adriana sat on a tree near by (Kaden stayed on the bank not doing much) then we had the final group photo then headed back to Auckland.




No comments:

Post a Comment